MUH TAVI PROGRAM
To make an appointment call 0491 215 002
Macquarie University Hospital was the first private hospital in New South Wales to conduct Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation, or TAVI, and the first in the southern hemisphere to offer a full TAVI program to support patients undergoing the procedure.
Today, the Hospital’s TAVI program remains a robust and comprehensive diagnostic, surgical and recovery service, with the team getting outstanding long-term results.
The minimally invasive TAVI procedure is of particular benefit in treating aortic valve disease in the elderly and other high-risk populations for whom conventional surgery is not an option. To be fully effective, TAVI requires a multidisciplinary and cohesive heart team to be in place.
Macquarie University Hospital offers the procedure to suitable patients through its Heart Care Centre. The centre has a large team of diagnostic cardiologists, interventional cardiologists and cardio thoracic surgeons who, as a diverse group of heart specialists, work collaboratively to determine the best treatment for each individual patient.
The TAVI surgical team has access to the advanced imaging capabilities at Macquarie Medical Imaging, and to Macquarie University Hospital’s state-of-the-art Hybrid Theatre, where surgeons can conduct both traditional and minimally invasive surgery.
THE TAVI CLINIC:
Currently, Macquarie University Hospital has the only TAVI Clinic in Australia. The Clinic brings together all TAVI specialists under the one roof. Patients are assessed at the same time by a range of specialists, saving time and reducing stress for elderly or very sick patients.
Importantly, in addition to being reviewed by a Clinical Nurse Manager, each patient is seen by both a cardiologist and cardiothoracic surgeon, receiving a balanced view of their case and the best possible treatment options.
Geriatricians, physiotherapists, intensive care specialists, anaesthetists and other support staff also become part of a patient’s multidisciplinary team once they proceed to surgery. All services are available to our patients in the single Hospital location, making the experience as convenient and seamless as possible.
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL’S TAVI PROGRAM FEATURES:
- First comprehensive TAVI program in the Southern Hemisphere
- Multidisciplinary team (MDT) approach allowing comprehensive review and ongoing care
- One of the most experienced structural heart teams, having done more than 300 TAVI procedures to date
- Hybrid Operating Suite for both traditional and minimally invasive procedures
- Ability to perform unique combinations of procedures tailored to an individual patient’s condition
- Outstanding results, with 93 per cent of TAVI patients alive and independent after 12 months
- Outstanding ICU and other post-surgery support services.